Wednesday, January 28, 2009

In which I act like a 13 year old girl

My secret confession of the day: I'm watching American Idol, and it makes me cry... Good grief. I kind of feel like a teeny-bopper. Although I'm also really excited about the new show "Lie to Me," I watched the last episode on Hulu earlier today, and I am looking forward to tonight's episode. I think it's a tv show that Ranger Man and I would like to watch together... maybe. In the meantime Webster and I will watch it. If we ever stop tearing up from American Idol. Geesh. I feel a little less guilty because one of the professors came by at work today and confessed to loving watching it... so I'm totally taking that as justification.

Cookie asked for the details about yesterday's scarf. The pattern is called the Old Shale scarf (ravelry link), it's about 5'8" long and I knit it on size 4 needles.

What's important is the intended recipient, not the scarf.

I don't have a large family, but (up until last year), the family I did have was very tightly knit (no pun intended). My Father is an only child, and his parents lived only about an hour away from us so we spent some time with them. There was my GrandMa (who also knits), my Grandpa, and Josie. Josie is related to me somehow, but it's too convoluted for my pea brain, so as far as I'm concerned, she's my second Grandma. She is one of the funniest people I know- in an intelligent and quick witted way. She is one of those people who are just good hearted and it shines through in the way that she is. We had a dog growing up who was a fantastic judge of character, and Ruthie (the dog) loved Josie from the get go. Even Mr. aloof Webster would come out of hiding to say hi to her.

Josie's pushing 90, she recently had to move out of her home and into a group home/care thingy and around Christmas time she was hospitalized for a while. It hurts my heart that I'm not there with her and my GrandMa as they get older. I used to drive to my Grandma's on Sundays to go to church with her and then we'd go out to lunch with Josie afterwards- and I looked forward to it all week!

So I made the scarf for Josie. I want her to feel warm and bright and cheerful and that's why I made the sweater.

2 comments:

loqi said...

That's so sweet -- it makes me feel better to make hand-made gift for family members that I miss. Like the blanket I crocheted for Sister#4.

Rebecca said...

That's really sweet! I love receiving homemade gifts. They're so much more meaningful.