Friday, June 27, 2008

Conundrum

What would you do...

If you had interviewed for, been offered and accepted (but not signed any paperwork for) a job that you were mildly passionate about, in a state capacity (read stable and lots of longevity and benefits), with tons of advancement potential, in a field that had always been alternating between a career goal in and of itself and sort of a back-up career, depending on the time.

And

You had applied for and interviewed for a job in a field that is so amazingly tailored to your academic and personal interests it is uncanny, but for an organization that is a non-profit completely funded by donor support and potentially going to be very significantly and negatively impacted by the upcoming elections. Of course I found out they wanted to interview me about 12 hours after I accepted the other job. This is something that I am passionate about, but it is much less of a stable potentially long lasting job. Also, it would probably not translate well into similar positions due to its uniqueness, although I could be wrong about that.

sigh. I'm sure that I'll be writing more about this in the days to come. Boy am I glad that this blog is as anonymous as possible right now!

1 comment:

Cookie said...

I think it's better to go with the state job where you know there's a future. You can always follow your heart in your personal time. With the way the world is right now, I think safety wins over passion. Then again, I'm old and cranky.

Good luck!