Sunday, July 27, 2008

On being female and a blogger.

But can't blogging be anonymous? No one can see anything you don't put on your blog. If you feel like you're not going to be taken seriously because you're female, make your blog gender-neutral for crying out loud.
If you're going to write a blog in which you intentionally write about being a woman... be prepared to face the consequences. Those consequences are that your experiences, at best, are only able to relate to half the population.

This is not the same as someone looking at me, seeing my blonde hair and dismissing my intelligence. The internet is the one place that doesn't apply to. Gr. I am mostly a feminist, but seriously? For some reason this just rubbed me the wrong way.

A couple hours later...

Let me edit this and explain myself a little more clearly.

If you have a "mommyblog" you should expect to be taken seriously by a niche audience only.

If you are trying to have a competitive political blog- you should be savvy enough to know that being a woman is going to be a bit of a turn off and not broadcast that until after you've gained credibility. You should know that. It may not be right, it may not be PC- but that's the way it is. And if this recent political season has taught us anything- it's taught us that gender still matters. I do think that it would be interesting to see if there are similar issues regarding bloggers of different races- and why not. I agree- it shouldn't matter what one's gender is when commenting on politics, for the most part. If that's the case, then be gender neutral for crying out loud, don't complain when people see female and discredit it because that's a fact of life. Gain credibility without gender and then gender can be revealed. I'm all about the sucker punch.

No comments: