Thursday, August 14, 2008

One Year

What a difference a year makes.

I'm still in school- and I work for a school, so as far as I'm concerned, this is my "New Year" that's just about to begin. I was thinking about the past year today and wow. How much things have changed.

It was almost exactly a year ago that I was moving onto the Island.

I thought that I was going to a great program where I could continue my studies in military-media relations and go on to work in a field utilizing that research... not so much. I am now, essentially, back to square one. I have no idea what I want to be when I grow up. I have a job that could easily be a career, but I don't really think that will happen. Some days I want to continue and get another MA and then my PhD, but others I think that I just can't stand any more grad school politics.

I thought that Ranger Man and I weren't that serious. Ha. That one is kind of funny considering that I just moved across the country to live with his stuff. But with everything else that changed this last year, I realized that he was the one that was really helping me with it. And consequently, it was him that I wanted to be with. I could actually point you to a specific day that I started realizing this, but I won't bore anyone with the details.

I thought I had a home. Between me wanting to leave school and go home and my dad telling me that he really meant it when he said I couldn't go back home, and my mom leaving my dad... yeah. I'm glad I've got Ranger Man.

My mom was my best friend a year ago.

I had never seen a cockroach. Or a Praying Mantis. Or a flying Cockroach. Oh my gosh I hate bugs.

A year ago I thought my dreams were somewhat under control. Boy was I wrong about that one (that whole taking a class about genocide idea was not my brightest).

A year ago I did not take any knitting with me- it was packed and ready to be shipped, but it did not come with me. My knitting was one of the first things I planned around this last time I flew. It is amazing how knitting has become a coping mechanism for me.

I think that's a good list for now. What a year.

1 comment:

Rebecca said...

Since I'm in school too, the new year starts in August when school starts back.
I can totally relate to this post! Since this is (hopefully) my last year of school, I've been thinking a lot lately how things have changed from last year. And next year will be an even bigger change since I will be done with school. It's a little terrifying!