Tuesday, January 29, 2008

I Believe I Can Fly.

Apparently I am old.

That song... "I believe I can fly... I believe I can touch the sky..." kind of epitomizes the awkwardness that was the middle school dance for me. I'm not sure that I ever had the pleasure of dancing to it (I don't think I actually danced with a boy until the end of my eighth grade year) but that makes it even more awkward, doesn't it?

There's a shuttle van that runs in between the two campuses where my classes are, and there was this 80s-90s music station playing on the radio on the way back tonight in the shuttle. This song came on, and I'm sure that the kid next to me thought I was going into convulsions because I was trying not to giggle. If it hadn't been eleven o clock at night back in the rest of the World, I would have called someone and probably started singing into the phone. But since the youngins in the shuttle obviously did not have the memories associated with the song that I did... I kept my mouth shut.

And then I wondered. Did they think of songs like that the way I think of songs from the 60s and 70s? Is the music that I went to school with going to be oldies? good grief, I"m only 23, I shouldn't feel that old!

No comments: