Saturday, January 19, 2008

The Tales of the Hippie and the Conspicuous Consumer

Most of the time, it is really great that Ranger Man and I are together. Sometimes, however, it becomes apparent that we have different value systems. Put another way- most of the time these values systems complement each other, it's just tricky figuring out how to get them to do that sometimes.

I need someone who is focused on and realizes the importance of making money, because if it were up to me, I would volunteer all the time and starve to death. I would literally give away all my money, or spend them on care packages for SA (It is KILLING me not having an adopted soldier right now, it's really hard), and rescuing homeless animals etc, etc. I need someone who is aware of the fact that it is, in fact necessary to have a real job that makes real money and make sure that the aforementioned real money gets spent on things like housing and food before taking care of others. I need that, I really do.

However, the biggest problem Ranger Man is having with the "m" word (I'm so sick of it, I don't even want to give it a name right now.... maybe we'll call it "That societal institution which shall not be named," is that until I came along, he was quite content with his bachelor status, and had no desire to change that. His idea of a productive and successful life was a Ferrari collection, while mine is having a family. You see the competing values structures?

Is there a solution? I'm absolutely certain there is. (and I hate to say this, but I'm also relatively certain that it won't include any Ferraris). But I'm also certain that not being able to talk about it face to face is impeding the process. Until he's done with Super Secret Army Land School he really can't afford to expend any brain power on much other than School, while I'm just hoping that school will start again for me next week and help me to not think about the fact that he seems to be choosing between me and cars.... No that's not what he's doing, but still!

In the meantime, what am I doing on this horrid long weekend with absolutely nothing to do? Knitting. Lots of knitting- socks for the man who literally does entire loads of laundry of nothing but socks. That sounds dangerous- that's a heckuva lot of socks. I told him to be careful, because socks in that quantity all thrown together and agitated in an environment such as the washing machine may just rise up and mutiny. I would if I were stuck in boots all day long. But he's getting more socks... and the saga of the hippie and the conspicuous consumer shall be continued.

No comments: